Friday, December 11, 2020

Definition of Union Suit from Merriam Webster Dictionary (since 1928):

"an undergarment with shirt and drawers in one piece."

First Known Use of the word "Union Suit" was in1846

Illustration of union suitIllustration of Union Suit

Example of Union Suit in a Sentence:

"Undershirts have come a long way from their days as an offshoot of the one-piece union suits men wore as undergarments in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to protect precious clothes from sweat." — Gerard Baker, WSJ, "The 10-Point.," 2 Aug. 2017
(I've got examples of Union Suit in hundreds of Sentences in my blogs. Ha!... Chris)

2 comments:

  1. Wearing union suits when you sweat might also keep you cooler. We used to wear long sleeve t-shirts under our jerseys during baseball season, which kept us cooler since the t-shirt was wet from sweat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yepper. I've worked outside wearing a union suit on some days when it starts out cool and before long the temp warms up 'til I'm perspiring. My button-down underwear becomes damp keeping me delightfully cool in the warmer weather. Bet you've, John, experienced that too out on your ranch. I imagine that's how my grandfathers survived wearing their union suits year round out on their farms... Chris

      Delete