Friday, December 4, 2020

YesterYear - Strident Strikers Strip 


In April, 1941, textile workers walked a picket line in front of the closed Appalachian Mills garment factory in Knoxville, Tennessee. There were no less than thirteen textile mills operating in Knoxville then with most of them producing underwear and socks. Millions of men's and boys' union suits were made here. A strike was called because a number of union men were fired from the plant. The striking picketers stripped to their own union suits in a demonstration of unity. Several of the men, some wearing hats, others carrying U.S. flags, but all wearing union suits, carried signs that read: “I Lost My Pants at Appalachian Mills.”
The strikers believed wearing nothing except their union suits would draw much more attention than if they were fully clothed. They were right. Their photo was published in newspapers across America that month. Textile mills in Knoxville produced more union suits in the first half of the 20th century than in anywhere else in North America. In fact, Knoxville was known as "The Underwear Capital of the World."  If you wore underwear from the early to mid-1900's, your underwear was probably made in Knoxville.


Thanks to Joe of New York City for securing this photo for me.


On December 14th, I received this email from Billy of Knoxville, TN:

"Chris:  Even when I was a little boy, kids my age knew underwear of all types like my briefs and undershirts was made in Knoxville my hometown. Maybe my socks too, can't remember for sure. My grandpas and daddy wore union suits made here, uncles and older cousins too. Not year round but much of the year. I followed 'suit,' pardon the pun, when I was about twelve years of age. But now my union suits are made in far away places like Indonesia or Honduras. The last two I bought were Duofolds made in India. I often wonder what the men and women who live in warmer climates and make our union suits these days must think of our western long underwear... 'Crazy Americans!'   ...Billy"


And this email yesterday from Seth of Bangor, Maine: 

"Hi Chris: The photo and caption of the striking union suit wearing workers, reminded me of another bunch of striking men out in public posting you did sometime ago. But I can't find it. Did you delete it? ...Seth"


Thanks, fellas for your emails and, Buckeye, for your comment below. No Seth, I did not delete the previous "striking" posting. It is actually located in my companion blog: "Union Suit Fans in the Limelight," June 4, 2018. That posting was of entertainer Spike Lee and his band, City Slickers, marching down Market Street in San Francisco in 1949. They were all dressed, or should I say undressed, in their union suits. The long-handled clad men were supporting their local musicians strike. 

To see that posting: go to the dancing red long johns found on the side of this page, click or tap on "Union Suit Fans." At the top of the next page under "My Blogs," click or tap on "Union Suit Fans in the Limelight." This will take you to my other blog which features actors, singers, dancers, etc. who enjoy performing in their union suits. Maybe you've seen it. 

Scroll down to the Spike Lee posting found back in June, 2018 along with "Panic at the Disco," a very talented band, marching down the street in their union suits. Enjoy, Chris


City Slickers Band Striking
in Their Long Underwear

Panic at the Disco Marching
in Their Union Suits


2 comments:

  1. Chris you said the strikers "believed wearing nothing except their union suits would draw much more attention.....". I agree wholeheartedly. It sure got my attention. The person who came up with that idea could be labeled a creative genius! I think the "Outdoor Advertising" on the wall in the background is way cool. At first glance it does indeed look like these men are advertising the Appalachian Mills products in an outside setting. Cool and informative post. Thank you Joe of NYC for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least those strikers are warm and comfortable in those union suits.... Rob

    ReplyDelete