Sunday, March 20, 2022

It's the first day of spring; granddad and I still are wearing our long, red flannel underwear! How about you?


Hy Hintermeister's Boy and His Grandpa: Dream Ship.


Well anyway, the boy's granddad wears red flannel union suits. Mine are either 100% flat cotton or, in the case of my Champion Duofolds, 100% inner layer cotton with an outer layer being a mix of 25% merino wool, 10% nylon, and 65% cotton: "two layer thermal underwear for warmth in cold weather.  Made in the country of India." I wonder if any Indians there ever are inclined to wear long-handled union suits.

Here in northern Idaho, a stone's throw from the Canadian border and at my home in the trees on a lake, we'll be lucky to hit 40 degrees today. Snow turning to rain tomorrow. Maybe we'll get to the low 50's by mid-week. Guess I will be wearing union suit underwear for another couple of months anyway.

Ahhh... Springtime! ...Chris


4 comments:

  1. Chris I’m glad you reminded me that it is now spring. I hadn’t noticed. It is almost noon ( the “heat of the day”) and here in NE Ohio it is a rainy, bone chilling 41 degrees. I am indeed wearing a union suit but it is not a red one. It is a grey Jockey waffle knit. It is a cotton blend that does a great job stretching with your movements and then returns to its original shape. My union suits include Champion Duofolds that you mentioned, the Jockey waffle knit I mentioned, and various flat knit ones both 100% cotton and some cotton blend ones. I have them in various weights so that I can wear one especially “suited” to the weather conditions of any given day. Here’s to a warm and cozy spring to all my buttoned buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it is Spring, there are still weeks ahead of union suits for me as well. I like Mike, am making good use of my Jockey union suits. I also have LL Bean suits that I enjoy wearing. Thanks for your posts Chris! I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a high in the mid-40s I'm still in a union suit here in Virginia. Today I'm in an old Rock Face union suit (heavy cotton; oatmeal color) I brought from J.C. Penny back when union suits were part of the standard long underwear offerings. I miss the days when you could go into any store that sold work clothes and find union suits right along side the thermal tops and drawers. I also have a couple of the Jockey union suits with the drop seats. Does Jockey still offer them? Last time I looked on their Web sit in the Fall I didn't see any. Harder and harder to find this kind of old fashioned underwear. Guess we better take good care of the garments we still have, guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jockey still offered their drop seat union suits but only from sometime in the autumn (it varies year to year ) until the season’s allotment is sold out. I actually was able to order two this past fall. Hope that helps you Ron.

      Delete