Monday, March 28, 2022

The French are famous and appreciated the world over for their art, wine, love, and fashion statements... 


So, it was no surprise to me when my new ami, Jérôme, shared his excellent style with photos of him in his sous-vêtements! He lives just outside of Paris and has an amazing variety of combinaisons (union suits). Take a look...


He emails: 

Hello Chris, I live in France (near Paris), I am 62 years old and I found your adresse in https://unionsuitfan.blogspot.com/

I like wearing long underwear almost every time (I stop wearing them, when the temperature is more than 30° C). I have a big collection of long underwear which are in cotton for the summer, or more warm for other seasons, with different colors. 






I have about 50 t-shirts with turtleneck which I wear with my underwear (which means two layers on top) when the temperature is less than 20° C...


... For me, which is important, is the right fitting and I like the sensation of underwear just pressing a little on my body. What is pleasant with a union suit is that, even if it is not perfectly fitting, the pants remains in place.

When I was young, I always liked to see long underwear in catalogs. I bought my first long underwear in 1986, when I was 27 years old. I began to wear them all the time when I was 30 years old.

I found my first Union Suits in the French Department Store, Printemps, in 1990 and there was a Mariner Union Suit, which didn't open in the back. It was 100% cotton...



I have about 50 two-piece long underwear and 9 union suits (the 7 in the photo, one other in cotton which is not open, and one other red I just ordered):


From left to right : Ali Express (striped)  Ali Express (striped)   DharmaTrading (white)   Hanes (white)   Hanes (red)   Hanes (navy blue)   AliExpress (Purple)

Best regards, 
Jérôme aka Kore (in esperanto - sound like korey)

If I ever make it to France, I'll be an American in Paris in my combinaisons! Thanks, Jérôme! You set the standard for us Union Suit Fans! Tout le meilleur, monsieur...Chris


This email from Scott Horne added on April 9, 2022:

Hi, Chris,

'Union suit' in French is ordinarily combinaison. That term depends on context, however, because it also refers to similar garments such as coveralls and wetsuits. Informally it can be shortened to combi.  «Costume d'union» makes no sense; it must have been generated by a computer.

There is also the term grenouillère, but it refers mainly to one-piece pyjamas.

Canadian French has the informal term combines, which refers unambiguously to a union suit. It is probably in decline nowadays.

Scott


Many thanks, Scott. So, appreciate your input... Chris


Then, added agreement from Jérôme (of France) on April 10, 2022: 

Hello Chris,

Scott is right, the term "Costume d'union" doesn't exist, even if it is easy to understand from someone who knows what union suits are! 
...you can wear union suits both as pajamas and as underwear.

Jérôme

Gentlemen:

Since I strive to be as accurate as possible in my blogs, Union Suit Fan and Union Suit Fans in the Limelight, I have omitted "Costume d'union" from the posting above and have more appropriately used "union suit," "combinations," and particularly "combinaisons" where warranted. I appreciate Scott and Jérôme for setting me straight.  Merci beaucoup, Chris


2 comments:

  1. What a great post. It's good to see another man's collection. I thought the red, white and blue look was symbolic
    and interesting. Thanks again Jerome. Another union suit wearer, Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great layout, Chris. Jerome has a colorful and interesting collection of union suits in any language. Thanks to him for the posting.... Chase, Monroe, LA

    ReplyDelete