Monday, April 15, 2024

Montana Cowboy Dressed Down

The following email and photo of her brother was received from Dora this past week depicting more proof of a cowboy's favorite underwear.

Chris: In your blog recently, we saw a drawing of you along side your photo wearing a cowboy hat and long underwear. So, I wanted to share with you a family story about my brother's long underwear.

My kid brother, John, and I grew up on our parents' ranch in central Montana. When he was a little boy, about 10 or 11 years old, he wanted our mom to buy him long underwear like our two ranch hands wore. He'd see Pete's and Kory's long underwear hanging out on the clothesline, drying on wash days. And, sometimes he would visit them in a sort of bunk house where they stayed, wandering over early mornings. He'd occasionally see them, still in their union suits, drinking coffee, preparing for their day. 

It wasn't long before John receive a couple union suits for Christmas, mom granting his wish just to get him to stop bugging her. That morning, not that long ago, he opened his gifts of underwear, immediately pulled off his pajamas and put on one of the union suits. After opening the rest of our presents, John pulled on his boots and ran over to the bunkhouse in his union suit to show Pete and Kory. They laughed and told him he was a "real cowboy now, for sure." John wore that long underwear the entire day, went to bed in them that night, and as far as I know, he's never worn pajamas since. 

Recently, I was home for a visit. John has remained on the family ranch. One morning while there, I accompanied him to a western store near us. He purchased a new red union suit and hat, tried them on, and came rambling out of the dressing room in his new underwear, allowing me to take a picture of him.  Here's my brother, John:


He's a real cowboy right down to his, well you know!

Love your blog, Dora (Billings, Montana) 

Dora!  Thanks!  I agree with your ranch hands, real cowboys wear union suits. I've posted a number of photos of cowboys undressed, appearing in only in their union suits and boots, found over the years in Union Suit Fan

Appreciate you sending me the photo of your brother, John, and his story ....Chris


1 comment:

  1. Great story Dora. Thanks for sharing and a special thank you to your brother John for participating and allowing the picture. I can’t profess to being a fellow cowboy but I do wear union suits as a matter of course and call myself the urban farmer……..Buckeye Mike

    ReplyDelete