Wednesday, July 22, 2026

BVD's aka "Summer Underwear"

Founded in 1877, the Joseph W. Bradley, Luther C. Voorhees, and Lyman H. Day Underwear Company of New York City first manufactured and sold summer underwear they named BVD's. The unusual brand named underwear was, as you may know or have guessed, an acronym of the three men's last names. BVD's became widely popular as an alternative to long heavier underwear, particularly union suits. This underwear design was one-piece too...short drawers combined with short sleeves.

After spring thaws and warmups, men and their boys appreciated the opportunity to switch from their ponderous long drawers and sleeved underwear to abbreviated union suits. Those living in the southern U.S. could then could wear BVD's year round. Later in the twentieth century, boxer shorts, briefs, athletic shirts and tee shirts were made and the one-piece BVD's and other short versions of "athletic underwear" became less popular. However, modern versions of BVD boxer shorts, briefs, and undershirts can still be purchased today. 

Fortunately for those who like the long version, one-piece underwear, like you and me, a large variety of full body union suits are readily available on line and in some stores. Hurray!!

Below is an iconic photo of, presumably, a dad and his son wearing their BVD underwear in a game of ball. I found no record as to whether the pitcher, first baseman, out fielders, or others were playing ball in just their "summer underwear"....lost to history.  


And, how about these boys wearing Munsingwear Underwear on a float in a 1908 Oklahoma parade. I wonder how they were persuaded to appear before hundreds of folks in just their underwear!

"Don't Say Underwear, Say Munsingwear!"

Like BVD, Munsingwear and other underwear companies soon followed their lead, manfacturing abbreviated summer underwear. Here are some early 20th century examples of shortened versions of union suit underwear ads for men and boys. You may recognize some from earlier postings in Union Suit Fan: 


  





  



Short one-piece underwear can still be purchased and worn today including the ones Retro Jeff turns to in Illinois' hot summer weather:


Retro emailed me recently:  It turned a little cool last night so I broke out this Calvin Klein vintage, new in package,  summer union suit I found on eBay a few months ago. From the label it seems to date from the early/mid 80s.  Interesting the way the buttons are done, 5 sets of 2.  It almost reminds me more of an old fashioned 1890s swim suit.  There is no rear flap so when Nature comes a knockin' at the back door there are 10 buttons to undo. Needless to say, one is prudent to respond at the very first knock.  LOL   ....Retro


Thanks, Retro. After I started wearing union suits myself at age 14 and having always lived in northern Idaho, I once asked one of my grandpa's how he could possibly wear union suits year around growing up in Nebraska. I knew he didn't have boxer shorts back then and for half of his life, just long handled underwear.  He told me about BVD's and called them his "Summer Underwear." I don't know if anyone else called their BVD's "summer underwear" but, I have, at least for the title of this posting." 

Years ago, I purchased a suit of BVD one-piece, athletic underwear from the J.C. Penney Company.  The strap of the shirt was narrower than that which Vogel wears in "The Reivers." And, I must admit, I wasn't exactly taken with that type of underwear.
 
Then and now I prefer boxers and sleeveless undershirts for summer....Chris          cayersnd@gmail.com



By the way, you should now check out my companion blog for a posting of scenes from the 1969 popular film, The Reivers, starring Steve McQueen and the young, Mitch Vogel.  Just like his grandpa and millions of other boys and men at the time across America, this eleven year old boy wore BVD's in this movie, providing a good example of the very popular turn-of-the-(twentieth) century underwear. Go to Union Suit Fans in the Limelight.  Thanks to Retro Jeff for recommending this movie!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment