Monday, September 7, 2026

Happy Labor Day America! 

Today is a time to celebrate the strength, achievements, ingenuity, and contributions of those who strive to better themselves, their families and this nation: workers of every stripe and economic background. 

So join me in pausing to celebrate and show an appreciation for the hard work of all of us, you and me, and those who came before us. To those who helped build the infrastructure, the communities and the economy of this great nation for the betterment of all, beginning from the industrial revolution in the late 1800's to this very day.

The first recognition of laborers was with a parade of 10,000 participants marching through the heart of New York City on September 5, 1882.  The official holiday was signed into law by President Grover Cleveland on June 28, 1894. Given those years, I'm thinking the 10,000 as well as the president were wearing union suits, nearly identical to the ones we still enjoy 140+ years later. They were the first to witness, wear and enjoy this new fangled long underwear: Utica, New York's 1868 "Emancipation Union Under Red Flannel!"

Since today marks the unofficial end of summer, I too have donned a union suit. I am a Labor Day to Memorial Day union suit fan. How about you?

Have a great day, Union Suit Fans!  You've worked hard so now relax and enjoy family and friends!

Now, switch over to my companion blog, Union Suit Fans in the Limelight, 
and play another round of Movie Trivia!




7 comments:

  1. Great tribute to the dignity of labor Chris. Labor is not looked upon with the respect it deserves. Was 53 degrees when I woke up today and since there were open windows my house was a bit chilly so I also donned a union suit. However we are supposed to hit 80 degrees today so I won’t be buttoned all day but I suspect it won’t be long now…….Buckeye Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Chris, wonderful tribute to the workers of America. And, due to the union suit's strong association with the working man, especially appropriate.----- Retro Jeff in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Buckeye and Retro. I'm not a member of a union myself, but my pa and grandpa were and they wore union suits their entire lives as boys to the days they passed. They both worked at the Ford Motor Co. up in Dearborn. Like you, Chris, and these two, I wear union suits at least 8 months out of the year. Looking forward to putting mine back on beginning in October. ..... Kenny, Kankakee, IL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Kenny, I start the union suit season in October. Only few weeks away. Artie .

      Delete
  4. Chris: this photo of you in your union suit, the labor buttons and the packaged Healthknit "union made" union suit reminded me of a posting you did a couple years back about guys picketing a garment maker's building with signs and wearing just their union suits. It was a classic! You should re-post that one as a reminder of hard-working laborers who use to make our underwear. I know that industry went over seas long ago as my union suits are now made on the other side of the world and shipped to me to wear here in the U.S.
    Back in the day, I had a red Healthknit union suit when I was a boy. My little brother got that one and a couple of others as hand-me-downs. We both to this day are still union suit fans and both love your blogs .....Paul, Williamsburg VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, you can still find brand new vintage American made union suits on eBay. I've purchased a number of them in their original packaging at very affordable prices. Check it out. Living in Williamsburg, about as "retro" a town as you'll find, you should be wearing retro union suits like I do in my 1850 home. LOL. ----- Retro Jeff in Illinois

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Retro, good idea. I’ll check them out….Paul

      Delete