Monday, September 7, 2026

Happy Labor Day America! 

Today is a time to celebrate the strength, achievements, ingenuity, and contributions of those who strive to better themselves, their families and this nation: workers of every stripe and economic background. 

So join me in pausing to celebrate and show an appreciation for the hard work of all of us, you and me, and those who came before us. To those who helped build the infrastructure, the communities and the economy of this great nation for the betterment of all, beginning from the industrial revolution in the late 1800's to this very day.

The first recognition of laborers was with a parade of 10,000 participants marching through the heart of New York City on September 5, 1882.  The official holiday was signed into law by President Grover Cleveland on June 28, 1894. Given those years, I'm thinking the 10,000 as well as the president were wearing union suits, nearly identical to the ones we still enjoy 140+ years later. They were the first to witness, wear and enjoy this new fangled long underwear: Utica, New York's 1868 "Emancipation Union Under Red Flannel!"

Since today marks the unofficial end of summer, I too have donned a union suit. I am a Labor Day to Memorial Day union suit fan. How about you?

Have a great day, Union Suit Fans!  You've worked hard so now relax and enjoy family and friends!

Now, switch over to my companion blog, Union Suit Fans in the Limelight
and play another round of Movie Trivia!




2 comments:

  1. Great tribute to the dignity of labor Chris. Labor is not looked upon with the respect it deserves. Was 53 degrees when I woke up today and since there were open windows my house was a bit chilly so I also donned a union suit. However we are supposed to hit 80 degrees today so I won’t be buttoned all day but I suspect it won’t be long now…….Buckeye Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Chris, wonderful tribute to the workers of America. And, due to the union suit's strong association with the working man, especially appropriate.----- Retro Jeff in Illinois

    ReplyDelete