Friday, February 2, 2024

 It's Ground Hog Day!  

Yep, from California to the New York Island, from the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters, and all points in between, people are celebrating Ground Hog Day today, anxiously awaiting to see if we'll have six more weeks of winter weather. And a big decision for you and me... whether to keep our long underwear and wool socks handy. Well, maybe not such a big decision for me as here in Northern Idaho just a stones throw from Canada. We'll continue to have cold weather for several more months. So, I'll be wearing union suits and heavy socks at least through Memorial Day!

Pennsylvania may have Gobbler's Knob's Punxsutawney Phil but the back-country hollers of Casey County, just outside of Somerset, Kentucky has Larry Longhandles! 

Oh, boy! Larry with eyes wide open seems to be saying, "I saw my shadow today so back to my den to hibernate I'm headed!"  And today, Larry Longhandles still has on his woolen union suit over his fur covered body. He plans on keeping warm. So I'm thinking, at least in Kentucky (and Idaho), there's more cold weather ahead...maybe even for six more weeks. 

This marmot is brought to us by the same talented, Jerry Walters, who you may remember created for Union Suit Fan, Cletus Coffee, way back in a September 25, 2019 posting. Long-johned Cletus was the ambassador for all of us early morning coffee lovers with that hot cup of joe balanced on the top of his hat.


Back then too, I posted several favorite cartoon characters I had found on-line in books by Jerry. Many of his characters had various adventures in their union suit underwear! Has it really been almost 5 years ago??!!  Here's that entry from yesteryear.... 

Hey, Union Suit Fans!

Old Thornberry

Introducing a very fine, entertaining author, illustrator, storyteller, all around good guy, and fellow Union Suit Fan... Jerry Walters

For several months now, I have been enjoying Jerry's books.  He is an exceptional storyteller and illustrator. With his permission, I am featuring some of my favorite characters from those books. From his website, Jerry says, "Just love to do fun silly stories."  I think you'll agree. Here are a few book excerpts...

From the Book, Bud. Farmer Fred wades into the mud to grab his prized pig so he can take him to the county fair. In the process, Fred looses his clothes to the sticky mud. But, oh well, he proceeds to the fair in his union suit anyway:



 
He isn't going to let a little thing like attending the festivities in his long underwear stand in his way of a good time!

From Lost Teddy Bear
Your pants come in handy 

if you don't have a rope!

In Polecat, Johnny has to go around 
in his union suit 
thanks to an ole polecat who squirted him 
and ruined this clothes:



In Ole Fred Has a Bad Day,
he wears a nightshirt over 

his red union suit
going to the outhouse
.




And from the Book, Hillbilly Cookie Bear




I'm sure you'd love to check out these stories in more detail and to see other of Jerry's books. 

Copy and Paste:  www.blurb.com + The Legend of Thunder Cow   

and Buy a couple Jerry's books and enjoy.




Thanks again, Jerry!  In coming days, look for another posting or two in Union Suit Fan, of Jerry's fine work, illustrations, and maybe some surprises....Chris


5 comments:

  1. Like the groundhog


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous: I'd like to hear from you. Email me at cayersnd@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Jerry’s illustrations certainly attest to his considerable talent. I look forward to reading his works. Thanks Chris for this post…….Buckeye Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That marmot saw his shadow here and went screaming back to his burrow! So I guess it's union suits and winter weather for me, but not just for six more weeks, as I too, Chris, expect to be wearing mine well into late spring at least....Rhode Island Randall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Midwest predictor, Woodstock Willie, who resides in Woodstock, Illinois (70 miles away) did not see his shadow. Woodstock is where the movie Groundhog Day was filmed. The snow is all melted off here so Willie may be right. ------ Retro Jeff in Illinois

    ReplyDelete