Monday, September 16, 2024

A Modern Day Frontiersman: South Dakotan, Charles Davis


This ambitious guy built his own house in the beautiful woods of South Dakota's Black Hills.

Now early mornings, Charles can enjoy a hot cup of coffee in his union suit on his covered deck, overlooking some of the most breath-taking scenery in America. 

Charles emailed that he discovered Union Suit Fan in the past year while searching the internet. He has worn union suits for the past three years and discovered that which the rest of us know, one-piece long underwear is comfortable, warm and pretty darn fashionable. Not to mention fun. 

He said: "I started building my place outside of Deadwood, South Dakota and the first winter all I had for heat in the cabin was a wood stove. Needless, to say the nights were cold and the mornings were chilly until the fire was up and going. I picked up a union suit and immediately enjoyed the fact that it never came untucked and when you are sleeping, it did not bunch up like thermal tops do, up under your arms."

This union suit fan has five brothers, yes five, whom he may gift each of them a union suit for Christmas. Great choice! I told Charles my wife gave her three brothers and me bright red union suits for Christmas a number of years ago. We all put them on immediately that morning and enjoyed their warmth and comfort all day long and for years later. 

Welcome, Charles, to our brotherhood of union suit fans! ...Chris



3 comments:

  1. That’s admirable, Charles. Both where you reside and building your own home and deck! I live in St. Louis, big city- too big actually. I’m envious.
    Thanks for sharing your story
    …. Bill, your fellow union suit wearer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m envious of that location as well Charles. Kudos on building your own house also. That looks like an older style Carhartt union suit in your pics. I really like those older Carhartts but don’t care for their current design. Welcome to the brotherhood. I look forward to hearing more from you……..Buckeye Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between his winter wood supply and his union suits, I think Charles will be keeping warm this winter. It's good to see a new union suit fan! ----- Retro Jeff in Illinois

    ReplyDelete