Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Yesteryears Underwear!

In 1917 George M. Cohan wrote a very popular tune, loved by the military and the general public alike. It was entitled "Over There." It was sung and appreciated during both World Wars. It encouraged young men to enlist for the fight against Germany. About the same time, some wag wrote different words to the original lyrics. Words, easy to remember, easy to sing, and easy to enjoy. Perhaps you have heard or even sung the words to "Under Wear."  We use to enjoy singing loudly and exuberantly this one as boy scouts around the campfire. 

Take a look at "Under Wear," sung to the tune of "Over There:" 


Underwear, Underwear 

How I hate this darn, woolen underwear.

Oh, I wish I had gotten, a suit of cotton

Instead of this woolen underwear!


I'm scratching here, and scratching there

I'm scratching here, and there, and ev-ree where.

Yes, I wish I had gotten, a suit of cotton

Instead-of red, woolen underwear!

 

Underwear, Underwear

How I itch in my, woolen underwear.

Wish I had not forgot-ten, my suit of cotton

So I wouldn't itch everywhere.


Bee Vee Dee's, make me sneeze

When the breeze, from the trees, hits my knees.

Coming over, I'm coming over

In my gosh darn, it-chy woolen underwear! 


Underwear, Underwear

Send a pair, send a pair, I can wear

For I left mine a flyin,' On the clothesline a dryin'

And now I need long underwear.


Underwear, Underwear

Get a pair, get a pair, anywhere 

For the bugle's a blowin, ' So, I must be goin'

And I don't want to go there, bare! 


Underwear, Long Underwear

How I itch in my woolen underwear.

How I wish I had gotten, grandpa's suit of cotton

So I wouldn't itch down there.


Mama Sent, Me Over Here

Wearing just my long, woolen underwear.

Oh, I wish she had gotten, me just some cotton

Instead of this woolen underwear.


Yes, Mama got me, Yes mama got me,

This long red hated, woolen underwear!


Underwear, Underwear, (softer) Underwear, (fade) Underwear, (whisper) Underwear.


4 comments:

  1. Just for the record Chris, we didn't sing that around our campfires when I was in the boy scouts in rural south west central Pa. I can see how that would be a favorite campfire song and I'm sure we would have sung it with gusto had we known it. Some of us did wear union suits to our winter camping trips but alas I was not one of them. Thanks for yet another entertaining, informative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in Buckeye. Look at all the fun you missed by not wearing union suits or singing "Under Wear." Remind me when you switched from two piece thermal underwear to union suits. You've certainly made up for lost time as a union suit fan these days... Chris

      Delete
  2. Chris: I actually remember singing this song like you back in boy scout camp. I grew up just outside of Castlerock, Colo. and still live there after 20 years; And still wear union suits. What other kind of long underwear should a guy wear in Colorado. Love the song, love your blog... Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sang this every year at YMCA camp. I was there in the summers of 1961, 1962 and 1963, but I'm sure it went back much further than that. Our version had some variations on the lyrics from above. But I can guarantee you that my memory of this song has not faded over the years. This is exactly what we sang:

    Underwear, underwear
    How I itch in my woolen underwear
    Oh I wish I’d gotten
    Some made of cotton
    So I wouldn’t itch the way I do

    My BVDs, they make me sneeze
    When the breeze from the trees hits my knees
    Oh how they itch me
    Oh how they itch me
    Oh these gosh darn, gosh darn
    Woolen underwear
    Hey!

    ReplyDelete