Thursday, May 30, 2024

International Brotherhood of Union Suit Fans!

Next to the last one to be recognized this month in our new found fraternity is "The Mighty Casey" aka Jon Casey, high school, college and pro Hockey Player and Union Suit Fan. 


On January 3, 2017, I posted a photo I received from one of my blog viewers with the following notation: 

Hockey Players wear Button Down Union Suits

More Suitable than Two Piece Underwear
Because They Don't Bunch Up While Playing! 

Thanks to Spencer for Submitting this Photo 

Though I had no idea who this kid was, I thought it a fine picture to recognize young hockey players who at the time this photo was probably taken wore union suits under their hockey gear.


Nearly two years later in December, 2018, I received an email from Scott Makowski of St. Paul, Minnesota who identified the young star, tiredly standing in his union suit after a hard fought game. Turns out, he was a Minnesota Boys' Hockey standout from Grand Rapids, MN who helped his high school win the state championship back in 1980, a time when most boys and men wore union suits under their hockey gear, including Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr.


Scott's note:  "Hi Chris. While viewing your blog recently, I saw that you posted a picture back in January, 2017 of a junior hockey player wearing a union suit, standing exhausted in his locker room after a big game. That player is Jon Casey, then and later, a tremendously gifted goaltender. This high energy kid reigned supreme in high school and college. Not surprisingly, he rose eventually to become one of pro hockey's elite players.... Scott Makowski"  

I invited Scott to be one of my Guest Contributors and to develop a history of this extrodinary player, just a normal boy who loved hockey and became one of the great high school, college and pro players. You'll find Scott's contribution in a posting dated, December 6, 2018 in Union Suit Fans in the Limelight.

Thanks and welcome to Scott and Jon as members of the
International Brotherhood of Union Suit Fans




2 comments:

  1. Chris: I remember this kid and his hockey story in your blog. Although I didn't play myself, I suppose Union Suits would be so comfortable under heavy and sweaty hockey uniforms. I wonder if players still wear them now days... Max, Topeka, KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too wore union suits under my hockey uniform and at Boy Scout camp outs - always. This was back between 1995-2005. I’ve continued to wear union suits as an adult at least nine months out of each year… Cain Minthorn - Newberg, OR

    ReplyDelete