Wednesday, March 3, 2021

These Union Suit Fans have been Buttoned Up for the Winter Too! (added 3/18/21):


            Thanks, boys !


Wintered Down and Buttoned Up in Freezing New York City

Just arrived, photos from my long time pal, Joe of NYC. He's pictured here attempting to keep warm in his New York apartment wearing a new Union Suit, demonstrating matching socks and mask:


Although a relatively short-time union suit wearer, 
Joe is a long-time two-piece, long underwear
leg cuff stuffer into his socks for ultimate warmth. 
No cold air will find it's way to his leg 
between his socks and drawers!


However, he acquiesced, just this one time in a tribute to me since I am not a stuffer of underwear into my socks, by providing a second photo of his union suit not tucked.  

Joe writes: "Just to prove my point Chris. Me in my trusty union suit. 23 degrees and freezing. And note: socks over and under the cuffs of my long Johns."

Send in photos of you attempting to keep and stay warm this winter and I will add your contribution to Joe's here.


6 comments:

  1. The first thing I noticed, before reading the text, was that the two pictures were inconsistent on the socks. So once I read it, I had to laugh. Like Joe, I have always stuffed, believing that it was warmer. And even going back to when I was a boy, I was taught that it was more appropriate to not have my long johns visible from the bottom of my pants. Of course, the lumps always were. Though in this day in age, I think that it is all what any particular guy is comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. It is good to know I am not alone in my "should I tuck or should I not tuck" Ah. The problems of life.

      Delete
    2. When I was growing up (in Michigan - cold winters) I stuffed long johns into socks. Even though most guys wore them you'd get teased if they were visible at your ankles. These days I don't much care, so usually don't stuff, unless I'm wearing two pair of socks, which I mainly do when I ski.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I remember the days of teasing. And you are right, that is despite the fact there was fairly widespread use in the colder climate. But it was just how it was. I was expected to wear my long johns as a normal aspect of winter. And now I am glad about that.

      Delete
  2. How about this method of non-detection of your thermals Doug? My best friend in school used to hike the cuffs of his 2 piece thermals half way up to his knees so the cuffs would not be visible. I always thought that defeated the purpose of wearing long underwear. I do remember people pulling up each other's pant legs up to see if there were long johns being worn. This happened quite often even though almost all of us wore long underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the old chestnut of to tuck or not to tuck! To my mind little difference in that if you tuck everyone can see the bulges or rucks and if you don't then the cuffs are visible anyway. I find that tucking irritates my skin, so I don't.
    Younger guys today seem to take pride in showing off their underwear, so why should I worry about mine, although I do wear black or navy to match my socks rather than white or red which would draw more attention.

    ReplyDelete