Sunday, June 13, 2021

Chris, Greetings: At the end of May, you posted Yesteryears Underwear. In that post you mentioned when, as a boy scout, you and your fellow scouts belted out the song, "Under Wear," around the camp fire. As a matter of fact, we boys loved to sing that song too. Like you, I wore union suits as a boy (and still do). I kept comfortably warm on those late fall and early spring camp outs by wearing a union suit. My unions were red. Mom always joked that if I sleep-walked out of my tent in the middle of the night and got lost, searchers could spot me the next morning stumbling around in that red long underwear and be rescued. Luckily, that never happened...being lost I mean. I still seem to always be stumbling around wearing “that red long underwear.” LOL

Anyhoo, I thought you might be interested in a couple of music covers touting the song "Over There" upon which you based your previous posting. I have also included the music score by George M. Cohan, notes to that song in the event any of your readers are unfamiliar with the tune. There is a boy scout union suit ad I found in a vintage "Boys Life" magazine about that time too.

Your friend and fellow union suit fan, Bailey (Grand Rapids, MI)





























Great! Thanks, Bailey, for the follow-up to my May posting of the silly boy scout song, "Under Wear." It's terrific when readers of my blogs send in their take on various Union Suit topics and photos. your contribution is very timely...Chris 


1 comment:

  1. Wow, boy scout union suits. I have never heard of them and I thought I was pretty well versed in men's and boy's underwear styles at least from the early 1900's until the present day. Have any of the readers of this blog ever had and worn one of these union suits? It says there were 4 buttons. Would that be 2 on each shoulder or a button or 2 for the rear hatch. Did they even have a rear opening? If any of my fellow readers know more details about these union suits, I would appreciate hearing from you as would other fans I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete