Sunday, October 15, 2023

Why Be Shy?

How I Came to Stop Worrying and Love the Union Suit

   By Ronald Payne, Guest Contributor

I grew up on a Dairy Farm in northern Virginia during the 1950s and like other boys who lived on a farm I was expected to do at least some farm chores. I was excused from helping with the milking (I was scared of the cows that were so much bigger than I was) but other chores like gathering eggs, feeding livestock and driving a tractor during haymaking season were a part of my growing up. This necessitated wearing work clothes which I hated. I didn’t want any part of a farm identity (I wanted to be a sophisticated city kid). I was afraid I’d be seen in farm work clothes by other kids.  When winter came around I drew the line on wearing long underwear.  My Dad wore the two piece variety, but I thought “long johns” were just too embarrassing. If I had to be outside in snowy cold weather, I’d happily wear coats and sweaters, but no way I’d ever wear “long johns”. 

Even worse than the two piece variety in my eyes were union suits. I saw a TV episode of “Restless Gun” in which John Payne was forced to strip down to his union suit and march back into town while everyone laughed. I couldn’t imagine anything more humiliating. The local clothing store had union suits so I knew some people must wear them, but I certainly wasn’t going to be one of them!

When I went to High School I was required to take gym class (which I hated) and for the first time I saw guys my age wearing union suits in the locker room. And these guys were popular athletes!  Girls liked them and other guys looked up to them.  Sure, these guys would kid each other about their “hillbilly drawers”, but they seemed to enjoy laughing at themselves and didn’t show the least embarrassment about being seen wearing union suits in winter. I guess that was when I began to change my attitude about long underwear, especially union suits. I kind of wanted to be like those guys who could be relaxed and confident even while wearing a union suit. In fact I realized that these guys had created a bond by kidding each other about wearing “hillbilly long johns”. I developed a secret wish to wear a union suit so I could be like those other guys and join in with kidding and being kidded about “farm boy” long johns.

The problem was--I’d made such a big deal about refusing to wear any sort of long underwear that I couldn’t bring myself to admit to my parents that I now wanted to wear long johns. Even if I bought a union suit on the sly, I knew that living in a small town word might get back to my parents. Also I was convinced that if I took a union suit to the store check out, the lady who would ring it up would probably imagine what I’d looked like wearing it!  

In ‘67 I went to college at William and Mary. The college laundry provided a list with check boxes for the student to tick-off what items were in the laundry bag. Guess what!  Right under “Undershirts” and “Underpants” was “Union Suits”. So some college men must wear union suits!

Winter of my freshman year I finally got my first union suit. Boy, did I enjoy the feel of it under my clothes at football games! Or when walking around Williamsburg on a snowy Sunday. I always had a smile when I checked the “Union Suit” box on my laundry list.

I was a Theater major and that Spring I got a part in an original student musical.   It was about a small town rube from the nearby town of Toano who gets lost in the “big city” of Williamsburg. There he runs across the newly constructed college computer that was programed with the personality of woman. The computer falls in love with the rube and makes him a senior majoring in Home Economics.There was a scene in which my character moves into his dorm room that he shares with a hippie and a jock. While preparing for bed he undresses to reveal –yes—that he’s wearing a union suit. So in this play, for the first time I was seen in a union suit.   And as the hippie character starts to sing a made-up folk song, my character starts to dance to it—a Charleston!  There I was doing a Charleston…on stage…in a union suit…in front of hundreds of my fellow students…three nights in a row…and even in front of my parents who came down to see their son starring in a college show.  I still remember hearing the laughter rolling across the theater.  But it wasn’t derisive laughter. It was the kind of laughter that showed that the audience liked me.  And I got a big round of applause at the end of the number.  

To top it all off—in that year’s college Year Book there was a picture of me…in the show…in my union suit.

That proved to be my inoculation against any sense of embarrassment or shame about wearing a union suit. People who saw the show somehow assumed it was my own union suit that I was wearing (it wasn’t--it belonged to a fellow cast member). But after that I joined the ranks of guys for whom a union suit was a normal part of their winter wardrobe.

 And that is how I came to stop worrying and love the Union Suit!

                                       ....Ronald Payne 


What better way to kick off another Union Suit Wearing Season than this account from my long underwear pal. Ron enjoys the warmth, comfort and look of union suits nearly as much as I. My fascination with our one-piece wonder just happened to begin about 10 years earlier than he, when I was a boy. 

Here's a much younger Ron, on stage, in his union suit. Photos taken from his William and Mary College yearbook. I'm willing to wager that none of us, including me, have danced the Charleston in long underwear, on stage, in front of hundreds audience members. Come to think of it, I haven't danced in front of any crowd in my union suit. Kudo's to Ron!


Ron's first guest contributions to my Union Suit Fan blog was November 14, 2019 in his story titled "A Thespian Union Suit Fan: Growing Up, Part I and An Innocent Rube, Part II."  You can still find these very entertaining postings herein...just scroll down to the aforementioned date in 2019. You'll enjoy his chronical.

Thanks, Ron... Chris


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your “stop worrying “ story Ron. I always enjoy reading your stories. Here’s my version. Unlike you I wore long underwear, two piece, as far back as I can remember. Even so I was always self conscious and never wanted anyone to know I did. I always envied my grandfather’s white union suits but my first one did not fit well and I hardly ever wore it. In my mid 20’s I finally found union suits that fit me well and was forevermore enamored of them. However I was even more careful not to let them show. Then once at a party in December my friend John commented somewhat loudly “wore your unions tonight didn’t you Mikey”? I had been outed!!!! To my surprise he agreeably acknowledged “ they do a good job of retaining body heat”. That was my turning point. My secret fear was met not with ridicule but acceptance.
    I started letting them show under my shirts and peek out the cuffs of my pants and now even sometimes wear them without a shirt while out and about running errands etc.
    Could you please let me know where I might find white or cream colored ones like you wear? …….Buckeye Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron: Like Buckeye Mike, I wish I could find an affordable, good quality, white or off-white union suit. I enjoy wearing my red ones but if you know of one like yours, let me know.(I’m not a fan of Indera union suits)…Rhode Island Randall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gentlemen, I regret to say we will need to get a Time Machine for us to find the kind of Union suits we like—the standard white working man’s Union suits that were readily available back in the day. The Union suit I’m wearing in the top picture is an old JC Penney that I got many years ago (I bought several like that one on sale and laid them by for later years) and the one in the bottom picture is a duofold I got about 3 years ago. I don’t know why manufacturers have abandoned white or natural as Union suit options. I guess they think they will sell better if they try to make them look more modern. I used to count on Canadian Stansfield as the last place to get good quality white Union suits but seems even they have stopped making the white versions. How I wish I could find Union suits like the Spruce brand I used to wear in the 70s. Well good luck to us all in the search.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron. I appreciate you responding. I was able to buy a new old stock white Carhartt on eBay over a year ago. I think Chris even posted a picture of me posing in it in front of my old Ford F150. I will continue to look for others and let you know if I find a source……Buckeye Mike

      Delete
    2. I also look for long underwear like in the old days. I remember stores having several varieties or two piece and union suits available. Now all you can do is go on line. The stores and many manufacturers only seem to have black or colored long underwear. White or Natural is so hard to find. Also the modern day long underwear is so thin. I do not like the new synthetic fabrics, I prefer cotton or a cotton heavy blend. Like you guys, white or natural is my preferred color too. I wish I could find thermal knit unit suits too. I remember in the years gone by the heavier weight and heavy thermal knits that were available and miss them a lot. Sometimes to get the weight or warmth I desire, I find myself wearing two layers or long underwear or union suits.

      Maybe we as a group should unite and get a petition letter going to a manufacturer of long underwear of our desires. I would hope if we could get enough names on a petition that maybe they would make what we want. Just a thought..

      Delete
    3. Several of you union suit fans have emailed me over the past years lamenting the fact that white, affordable union suits are impossible to find and purchase like the old Sears, Penneys and Spruce underwear. The Indera white union suit I purchased about six months ago is of such bad quality, I don't recommend it. However, if enough of you want to join Ron, Buckeye and me in requesting the "old" type union suits, then email me your first name and hometown. As suggested above, I will list all of us in correspondence to several union suit manufacturer companies with our request for white union suit underwear.... Chris

      Delete
    4. Contact me at cayersnd@gmail.com

      Delete
    5. In response to are too thin and that you miss the heavier thermal knit ones. Jockey sells thermal knit suits but only during the fall and winter months. Go to Jockey.com and look for thermals. They typically are offered in a different color each year. The current offering is dark green. You can see my green one pictured in Chris’ September 24 post. Unfortunately the last time they offered an off-white suit was at least 10 winters ago. The Jockey union suits are high quality and very durable. I have an oatmeal Jockey that is at least 10 years old that I still wear regularly. I don’t wear anything under my union suits and therefore launder them after each use. This old soldier has lost two buttons but has no holes or other signs of wear despite being washed ( on cold) and dried at low heat many, many times. I encourage you to try one if you are looking for a thermal knit one. They retail for $58 but Jockey routinely has special offers/ sales. I bought two in September and they cost me $65 for the two of them shipped to my house……..,Buckeye Mike

      Delete