How About Another Way to Beat the Heat and Enjoy Summertime! Lawn Bowling!
After beginning an outdoor bowling game, these men apparently decided to strip to their union suits for a more comfortable match. Maybe bowling is better in your underwear after discarding more restrictive outerwear. You may remember RC played a round of minature golf in his union suit a couple of years ago after losing a wager. Perhaps that was less restrictive for him than wearing heavier clothes (see the golfer below).
The following was emailed to me by Retro Jeff, sourcing the photo from the archives of the New York City Public Library:
Chris: the photo is from the archives of the New York City Public Library and stamped on the back: September 29, 1909. If you really study the photo, I believe the two men and the bowling pins were superimposed on a landscape view. The trees seem to have shadows but the figures and pins do not. They also appear to kind of "float" above the grass. An early example of photoshopping?.... Jeff
Probably. Sure looks like it, doesn't it? Maybe it was from an old union suit underwear ad, similar to others I have seen and posted in this blog. Thanks for sending... Chris

We've all heard of strip poker. Could strip bowling have been a thing back then? LOL ----- Retro Jeff in Illinois
ReplyDeleteGood point Retro Jeff……..Nuckeye Mike
ReplyDeleteDropped doen to 47 last night, up by deadwood SD. The unionsuit keept me tosty all night
ReplyDeleteThis week has been very hot. High temperatures in the 90’s with overnight “lows” in the mid 70’s. However last week was unseasonably cold with overnight lows in the mid 40’s. Unless it is extremely cold I only wear boxer shorts to bed but I slip on a union suit when I get up on the morning. I’ve even worn them on some of my morning outings but so far not all day long. I’m sure all day union suit weather is going to be with us soon…….Buckeye Mike
Delete