Thursday, May 4, 2023

 Union Suit Fans: Today is the Seventh Anniversary of Union Suit Fan!

It's hard for me to believe, but yes I started this blog seven years ago, May 4, 2016. Where do the years go, I ask myself frequently. Perhaps you do too. 

Seven years ago, I first wrote in my blog "Welcome to Union Suit Fan, a blog promoting my favorite underwear, long-handled Union Suits! Postings include articles, stories, anecdotes, and photos of and for union fans everywhere...." And you responded. 

At the beginning, I confess, I wondered if I created this blog from my personal experiences and collections for my own enjoyment or for others too. Would anyone bother to take a second look? I mean, I love the feel, look and warmth of Union Suits. Do others as well? I thought I'd share and find out.

The result was beyond anything I had imagined. In fact, thanks to your interest and responses, a couple years later, I added a companion blog, Union Suit Fans in the Spotlight which featured entertainers of all genre: music, television, movies,  animation, books, and more.

A reader/viewer/enjoyer of this blog for quite sometime and whom I have gotten acquainted with as a union suit fan, recently emailed to ask, "how much material do you have left in order to continue your fun, compelling blogs about union suits? You must be running out of stories, pictures, and ideas... Cody, Internatioinal Falls, Minnesota.

Well, Cody, it seems nearly limitless. Surprisingly, union suits are back in vogue. More and more men and women, boys and girls are wearing them again. Need proof, just look at the number of companies that now manufacture and sell them on the internet. 

So, I'm thinking I have at least another seven years of material to continue these blogs. And thanks to so many of you, I suspect I can do it with your continued assistance. I've said numerous times, Union Suit Fan would be exceptionally boring if it were only pictures of and stories about me, and surely would not have lasted nearly this long. You all have stepped forward with photos and stories of your own which are exceedingly entertaining, fun and, dare I say it, educational. 

And that is what our "old-fashioned underwear" is about, entertaining, fun and educational. Since the days of vaudeville and movies without sound, union suits have made their way into our lives, quite often with hilarious results.

Over the next couple of weeks, I am going to feature a couple of Union Suit Fans, as I describe them (I hope they too describe themselves as such) who first contacted me through comments and by emails and who have contributed immensely to my enjoyment in this endeavor we have created together. That is not to say that a large number of you, who have come after, have not contributed greatly as well. But I thought it would be interesting and great fun to remind those of you who have been here for years and to introduce those of you who may be "newcomers" to my dear ole long underwear friends. So watch for this and them, coming soon. In the meantime, thanks to all who check into this sight and to all those who have contributed. Hope you'll continue to be involved.

Keep 'em buttoned, I do, and remember... 



                                                                                       .....Chris Ayers.

Added May 9, 2023:

Acknowledging my 7th anniversary on the 4th of May, I presume... Thanks, Clem for this and for adding so much to this blog, Your union suit buddy, Chris:

Dear Chris~

 

"Hooray, Hooray
The Fourth of May!
Until later, Clem

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 7 year anniversary with your blog Chris. I have been following your articles for several years now and do enjoy what you publish. I also read your other blog "Union Suits Fans in the Limelight". You mentioned in your article about wondering if you created the blog for your enjoyment or if other would bother to take a look at it, I think you have been successful with others reading it. I have the same feelings about long underwear. I have liked wearing long underwear since I was young and still do. I am getting close to being a year round wearer. Yet I wonder how many others in the public arena are smart enough to give it a try and stay comfortable and warm. Anyway, I do enjoy your blog, keep up the good work and Congratulations on 7 years. I look forward to reading it for many more years to come. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add my congrats too. You are the leader of our union suit club or as I have heard you and others put it, "our fraternity." Thru you and your two blogs, I have learned alot about union suit underwear, you and other guys who wear them and myself. Thanks for everything and I too look forward to at least another 7 years...Chase, Monroe, LA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m adding my congrats as well Chris. I apologize that I missed the anniversary day as I’m usually good at remembering such things. I know I’m nowhere near one of the first to respond to your blog. In fact you were nearly 4 years into this project when I stumbled upon USF while doing an internet search for union suits to buy. Growing up in the mountains of rural Pa I have been wearing long underwear as a matter of course for as long as I can remember. Of course union suits are my favorite underwear and I honestly feel “at home” when I am in one of them. Therefore it only made sense for me to email you with photos and stories for your blog. I’ve enjoyed being a member of the USF “fraternity “ and look forward to the next seven years……as ever, Buckeye Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Chris for taking that leap of faith 7 years ago that there was indeed an audience interested in wearing and learning about union suits. Although I've only been on board for a little over a year I have spent many hours being entertained and educated by your past postings. The saga of Grant Wood's search for a vintage red flannel union suit for his "The Bath:1880 " was one of my favorites. Many Happy Returns! -------Retro Jeff of Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Fellas, and to all of you Union Suit Fans. Appreciate your contributions to the fraternity! ... Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris ,I have truly enjoyed your two union suit sights. I have enjoyed our personal corespondense also. Congrats on your seven year anniversary may you continue for a long time. I also enjoy my union suits usually from Sept. to some time in June. I hope you enjoy your time off . Keep ‘‘em buttoned up. Jim

    ReplyDelete